The Editing Queen understands that earning a best-seller income requires some upfront work and investment. For many authors, their first few books are part of the learning process and the profits may only start to show from a third (or tenth…) book. That’s why we’re okay with the stigma of being an “affordable book editor”. That’s right, online forums scoff at editors who charge less than $1,000 for a 50 page book. However, since the Editing Queen has not always lived a royal life, she knows the importance of getting a foot in the door – something many people can’t do if it means they have to pay such a tidy ransom… That’s why the Editing Queen offers a good mix of experience and value when it comes to affordable book editor fees.
How an Affordable Book Editor Charge
Many editors will charge you a large upfront fee, starting from $1, 000 for a 50-page e-book. This usually includes up to two revisions.
…But having worked with many writers, we have learned that for the most part, one thorough editing process is sufficient for most authors. We don’t want to charge you more than what is absolutely necessary, which is why we lean towards an hourly contract or estimated hourly upfront rate.
Revisions are not included in our initial fee, because most authors don’t require additional revisions. [Learn more about the editing process here]
How We Calculate Our Affordable Book Editor Fees
It has been said that you should not work with an editor who wants to see your manuscript before giving you an estimate. We disagree, because we perform a test edit on a couple of pages prior to supplying a quote in order to provide an accurate estimate. Without this analysis, we would have to inflate our rates significantly in order to ensure that we cover all the hours we might possibly work on your manuscript based on a worst-case scenario, when in fact, your book only requires minor proofreading work. Our steps to calculating your customized fee include:
- 30 minute free editorial analysis – During this process, we will look at the structure of your book, the word-count, amount of pages, and perform a diagnostic editing process.
- Fee calculation – Once we have established how much work is required, we will calculate your fee. We will calculate the amount of pages that can be edited per hour to form a base, before applying that to the page count of your book. Your editing fee will be the amount of estimated hours spent of your book, multiplied by our hourly rate.
Editorial Report & Optional Revisions
We will provide an editorial report along with your edited manuscript with mark-ups when completed. The report contains suggestions only, which you may or may not apply to your book. It is completely optional. At the end of the day, it is your book to do with as you please.
Should you decide to make changes, add additional content, or follow suggestions provided in the editorial report and wish for your book to be revised again, that will be for your account. We do not include additional revisions in our affordable editing rates, because we believe you should have the option to decide what you want to do with your book and should not have to pay for changes we demand. We will never force you to make changes to your manuscript.
We Recommend Hourly Upwork Editing Contracts
As a member of the Upwork Private Talent Cloud, the Editing Queen (Lizette)’s services are available to some of Upwork’s most elite clientele, and as a client of ContentCafe, this convenient platform is available to you too. The platform provides great benefits to authors, including:
- Hourly tracking – We can still give you an estimate of how long it will take to edit your manuscript, but Upwork will track the actual hours work along with screen shots and activity indicators to ensure you only pay for time worked.
- No upfront fees – Instead of paying a sizable upfront amount, you will only pay a smaller weekly amount once a week on a Monday via credit card, depending on the amount of editing required. Again, we will give you an upfront indication as to how long it will take to complete your manuscript edit. A shorter book might take two weeks, while a longer one will take longer.
- Affordable hourly rates – Instead of a large, upfront, inflated editing fee, you will only pay for time worked. That’s just one of the ways in which we’re making the process of becoming a published author a little bit easier for you.