Developmental editing matches your goals with an experienced editor to provide detailed feedback on your manuscript. The process involves multiple reads of your work to:
- Identify ways in which your manuscript can be developed,
- Identify how the key elements of your story can be strengthened,
- Annotate your manuscript to provide specific action steps and suggestions.
At the end of the process, we will deliver an Editor’s Report with detailed advice on any recommended improvements. The report will examine the inner workings of your manuscript to take it from draft quality to publication. Some of the advice may include:
- Point of view or tense adjustments
- Cutting non-essential events and filler descriptions
- Giving lifeless characters new life, or removing them from the story
- Improving readability to prevent reader fatigue and enhance their investment
- Ensuring that characters have distinct voices, and that dialogue flows naturally and is believable
- Creating a more cohesive narrative by connecting story events
- Crafting enticing openings and powerful endings
- Recommending potential story directions and solutions to problem areas.
The developmental editing process is based on the level of input the author requires from the Editing Queen, with the editor’s aim being to provide a range of possibilities. Included in the fee is an email consultation, providing the author an opportunity to clarify manuscript notes and clarifications about the report.
Free Developmental Editing Quote
Pondering whether you have a story or not? Is it worthy of publication? Let the Editing Queen be the judge. Get in touch today for developmental editing services.